Sunday, August 02, 2009

Sunday in the Catskills

What is better than a hike in the beautiful neighboring Catskills? Well..not many things. Having said that, obviously I couldn't pass that easily such an opportunity when my friend Carlos invited me to come along a group of friends and other RPI students. It was a bit wreckless (I mean the forecast was 80% chances of rain throughout the day) but it proved to be better than expected. Despite our initial target (Slide Mountain) I insisted on seeing first the Kaaterskill Falls, the highest one in NY State (yes, apparently even higher than the famous Niagara Falls).It is a two-drop waterfall located near in the eastern Catskill Mountains of New York, on the north side of Kaaterskill Clove, between the hamlets of Haines Falls and Palenville in Greene County's Town of Hunter. The dual cascades have total 260 feet (79 m) in height. Throughout the hike, was raining like crazy, and I got soaked despite my rainwear and my efforts. However, at that point I was mostly worried about my camera that took a lot of water on the way. Then, after a nice late lunch in a local pizzeria, people quickly shifted from a hike to visiting some local lakes, which proved to be very inspired as well. The North-South Lake is an 1,100-acre (4.4 km²) state campground in the Catskill Forest Preserve near Palenville, New York operated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. A lot of campers and tourists around the lake. We took a tour and a lot of photos until dawn, then headed home to Troy. Great stuff that I miss doing. And uff...summer is almost gone. I should hurry..

No comments: