Friday, August 14, 2009

Riding the Amtrak from mid-West to upstate NY

Since I was so late in booking my Chicago trip, the round-trip flight to Albany would have been around $500, way to much for my carved-up ex-graduate student budget in between..everything. Thus, the natural way, in this economy, and in any other one for me at least, was to cut down costs. and I did it by booking a nice couch seat with our friends from Amtrak. Friends indeed. For $80, an Chicago-Albany, NY trip seems like a good deal. Obviously, it takes 16 hours and 40 minutes, but hey, at least you get plenty of money for coffee and snacks, and a power plug for your laptop. Personally, I ended up working for several hours on my stuff in LaTeX and watching two movies. The biggest draw back proved to be obviously the crowd (full car all the way almost) and cold (the thermostat must have been set up on 55 because everybody was shivering underneath blankets and sweatshirts). I had to move a lot cause I didn't bring any winter apparel with me. All in all, I even managed to sleep another 2 hours (5-7 am) which I desperately needed and woke up refreshed and ready to be teleported to Albany. Amazingly enough, there were about 6-7 people in my car that were actually going all the way to Boston (some extra 6 and 1/2 hours from Albany).

No comments: