Thursday, December 28, 2006

New Hardware in my backyard


I finally got the computing power I need. A Dell Optiplex GX 620 does this job pretty well with its P4 HT 3.2 Ghz processor, 2 Gigs of RAM and a 150 SATA HDD along a nice enough ATI videocard broadcasting on a 19 inch Dell flat-panel. As a matter of fact I am having trouble now re-adjusting back to bigger screens after I totally got used to my 1400X1050 13" monitor on my antique IBM T22 laptop, with its tiny icons and un-readable text {for most others than me,:)}. A minus for the system: had serious trouble when I wanted to install Ubuntu on this machine...got some critical errors and finally I had to give up.
However, it will be my new base machine especially for statistical computing and imaging processing, the latter totally under-represented right now but hopefully better in the near future.

No comments: