Friday, March 31, 2006

Best Things Are Free


Last Wed. I had the pleasure of seeing the LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA live at Proctor's in Schenectady, NY. Although I couldn't figure out what were they actually doing in this place (not a very well educated crowd in classical music,as many noticed) I was just pleased to see them perform under the wand of Yan Pascal Tortelier, after its famous conductor, Kurt Masur, cancelled the appearance due to a viral infection. I consider myself just a novice in the classical repertoirs but I guess everybody should start with something closer to the best available; in this way, LPO would have been a great chance. Two hours and a half of excellency -- Britten, Khachaturian and Tchaikovsky--- The other presence on the scene beside the conductor was a violin soloist from Germany, Arabella Steinbacher,also excellent. Overall, AAA+ and the best thing was the price:free! courtesy of RPIs great care for culturalizing its students and my determination to get up at 7am in order to stand in line for tickets!:))
Totally worth it though!

No comments: